8.18.2011

[pley-room]

When we bought our home, we were expecting our first baby and we knew that a baby does not stay a baby long therefore she was going to need somewhere to play! We envisioned doing an addition. Phase 1:remodeling the original house. Phase 2:the addition. Phase 3:the deck. Phase 1 was complete before we moved in. Phase 2 started (& almost completed!) a few months ago. Phase (end of 2) and 3 are going to be started soon. When you are the owners of a roofing/construction company, your things are always the a)last to be completed and b)almost always done in the fall/winter months.. So we patiently wait to complete our master bath & closet and the laundry room. As well as our deck out the back door...But the good news is our home is almost all complete and is at least 100% livable. One of the spaces, other than the laundry, that I have started decorating is our playroom...

play·room [pley-room] n. a room set aside for children's play.

When I think of a playroom, I think of toys, books, a child's size table & chairs...tv, movies, art supplies, pretend area...you know a playroom! So I knew right away that I wanted it to be colorful, happy and bright. I wanted to have plenty of children's things but I also wanted the adults to be able to utilize the space. At first when we put our furniture in there, it screamed boring...brown...and just plan blah. (wood floors, tan walls, tan couch, brown chair, wood buffet, you get the idea, Brownsville!) It did not feel like a playroom at all. Then I decided, well I could add colorful pillows, some shelves with colorful accents on them and toys.

It kind of started when I found this little teal vase at michael's...then I found these glass bottles at hobby lobby and I thought well I will buy them, all else fails I will return it if I don't start to find fabric and such to go with it. Then I found some fabrics at hobby lobby and decided they would be the pillows. I just ran with this teal, pinks, multicolored setting. By now, you might start to gather that I am drawn to pinks, tiffany blue, teals, pastels, etc...and I have to say you are right. I can't help it...these tend to be my "colors". It hasn't always been this way though! Our first home when we got married was actually a grey sectional & black accented furniture, with black & white pictures and Marilyn Monroe everywhere...then I soon discovered that black furniture and 2 little dogs that shed white hair, do not mix. It wasn't exactly my plan to dust e v e r y single day!! So I decided after we moved, our next home would not have black furniture. I decided to take my love of creams, whites & tans with splashes of color, outside of the bedroom and into the "main" parts of the house.

So here we are today! The playroom is in the middle of its finishing (decor) touches. You'll see that I lack storage for the toys (I have been on the hunt for the perfect baskets or containers to put on the buffet to hold them) as well as, we need some more trinkets (or something!) for the shelves on the wall and on top of the buffet. I also want to do some abc artwork or something for the other wall (the one with the large picture on it) and/or we are considering some built-ins and a desk...but for the most part you can see which direction it is going. Oh and that would be my little assistant sneaking in some of the pics... :D


{fabric details}
front pillow fabric (multi): brother sister designs fabric
pillow in the back: leopard print


{fabric details cont'd}
teal fabric: solid teal fabric



{bottle details}

So there you have it, our playroom. Hope you enjoy it, find some inspiration or spark a new creative idea for your own home or space!

Until next blog!

0 comments:

Post a Comment