8.30.2011

something old into something {tiffany} blue

A few months ago some friends called my husband to see if he could come help load and haul away their china cabinet. They had decided they didn't want it anymore and were going to send it to goodwill. So off he went to help. I remember thinking after he left, "hmm I can't remember what it looks like? I wonder if it's something we could use?" Literally in the next few minutes I got a text from my hubby, "are you interested in this?" (I had been saying on this blank wall across from the dining table, I either wanted to find a china cabinet or have a built-in that kind of looked like one.) So he sent me two pictures of it and I told him, just bring it home, we could paint it and if we still don't like it, we can just continue it on to its destination.



He got it home and we decided we could paint it....yes, tiffany blue. I took my recipe box lid with me to lowes to match the paint. We lightly sanded it (nothing too serious), dusted it off and then just started painting it. Now I don't know for sure, but I think because we didn't heavily sand it, the paint didn't go on very "solid" at all. We took a step back and it looked like it was done on purpose, kind of distressed. So we ran with it...we painted the whole thing, one coat, let it dry and that was it. We loved the finished product. I do still wrestle with do I want to switch the knobs, change out the bottom cabinet doors & line the inside with fabric/paper, but for the most part I am very pleased with it!


You never know what something can look like unless you just go for it! What's the worst that can happen? a) You either have to redo it and keep trying until you get it to look how you want or b) you send it on to someone else who will like it and/or do something else with it. You have nothing to lose!
So always oblige to help move something away, look on craigslist, or stop by that garage sale, you never know what you can end up with and re-create! You just might be able to turn something old into something {tiffany} blue! (or white, black, pink, green...whatever color your little heart desires!)


Until next blog...

0 comments:

Post a Comment