9.26.2011

[social media shenanigans]



It's pretty amazing and somewhat funny, how fast someone can cause a stir on social networking sites. All it takes is for one person to post something about a change coming and it takes off like wild fire...


If you are a Facebook-er, you know recently that someone started saying that they were changing it over to needing payment if you wanted to continue using it. So many people in my news feed were copying and pasting this status in what almost seemed like a panic. I mean if you stop and think about it, would it really be that big of a deal? 


For me personally, and I may be completely alone in this, would not find it detrimental. In fact, I would survive. Would I pay for Facebook? No way. Would I miss it, not really. I use it like a lot of others, to keep in touch with those I don't really see that much. But so many people use it as a lifeline. Remember the days before Facebook? They were great... People still socialized the "old fashioned" way...more face to face. And if you had things to share with those involved in your life, you actually shared them face to face or over the phone or even (gasp!) snail mail. Now it seems as though nothing is private or sacred. People tell you every single detail of their life. They post pictures of every single thing they can, what they have, or what they did. They take the things you post and they use it for their benefit or as a "gossip" tool...


I seriously have not been apart of a conversation that hasn't included the phrase, "well I saw it on Facebook" in years! It almost isn't official anymore, unless it is on Facebook. Maybe I just don't get it...maybe I truly am an old soul. Maybe I don't gain anything from having 100, 200, or 1000 "friends". I hate to break it to some of you, I bet not even half or a handful of those "friends" would even know when your birthday is if fb didn't tell them. And if you really needed one of them for something, they wouldn't be anywhere to be found. Sad, but so true. I just wish people would go back a little more to how things use to be.. There is so much more to this life.



0 comments:

Post a Comment